The American Community School of Abu Dhabi’s Science curriculum is designed to assist educators in planning, implementing, and assessing a science program that allows "students to develop an understanding of what science is, what science is not, what science can and cannot do, and how science contributes to culture." (National Science Education Standards, 1996, p.21) It is based on the belief that:
- Science is a human activity that can be characterized by participants' processes.
- All students can learn and succeed in science.
- Learning science is an active process involving inquiry and experience (something students do, not something that is done to them).
- Everyone can describe, explain, and predict scientific concepts.
- Science, technology, and society are interrelated.
- Attitudes toward science established in childhood shape adult scientific literacy.
The ACS Science Curriculum is adapted from the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS).