The Haitham Zamzam Al Hammadi
Medal of International Friendship
Launched in 2018, the Haitham Zamzam Al Hammadi Medal of International Friendship is an annual award given to one Junior ACS student for their contribution related to productive and positive global citizenry, reinforcing the American Community School’s core values of Curiosity, Courage, Compassion and Integrity.
Zamzam Al Hammadi
Born and raised in Abu Dhabi, Haitham graduated from ACS in June 2002 and remained an involved and active ACS friend until his untimely passing in April 2017.
His ongoing collaboration with ACS stemmed from his belief that his education not only positively influenced his character, and later his perspectives in adult life, but formed the backdrop for some of the most cherished memories of his youth.
After ACS, Haitham earned a Bachelor’s of Arts in Political Science from Richmond University in London (May 2007), and a Master’s of Science in Human Resources Management from the University of Bradford in the UK (December 2009).
Upon returning to the United Arab Emirates, Haitham went on to serve the Abu Dhabi Government and his country with great skill, modesty and commitment. His strengths lay in his interest and ability to form productive and long-term friendships – locally, regionally and internationally – with people, entities and other governments.
Although still young, his diplomatic expertise was born out of a natural empathy and clarity of thought that earned him the respect of partners globally.
As a son, brother, husband and father, Haitham always embraced family, including his wife Dana and their three children – Aliyah, Abdulla and Taliyah.
To all of us, Haitham was a trusted collaborator and genuine friend.
The Haitham Zamzam Al Hammadi Medal of International Friendship is open to all students in Grade 11 (Junior).To be considered for the Award, the student must complete two steps:
- Submit an essay
- Take part in an interview conducted by the Medal Review Committee
- The essay should be no longer than 1,000 words
- The student’s name, email, and number of years as a student at ACS should appear at the top of the essay
- The essay can address one or two of the following themes:
- Students as leaders of positive social change globally
- ACS core values and how they contribute to being a productive global citizen
- Your responsibility in creating a more tolerant and inclusive world
- Building bridges of opportunity that nurture international friendship
- How has ACS prepared you to be a pro-active contributor to international dialogue
The essay will be evaluated according to this rubric.
Students must submit their essay on or before 9 April 2018 by emailing it to HAlHammadiAward@acs.sch.ae
The annual student recipient is determined by the Medal Review Committee, following an evaluation of the essay submissions and student interviews.
The annual Award includes a Medal, a Certificate, and a minimum of AED 5,000 to be given to the student.
When the Award recipient enters their Senior Year at ACS, they will fulfill the role of ACS Ambassador of International Friendship, with specific responsibilities and duties related to being the award recipient, which may include:
- Speaking at an ACS school assembly to articulate the school’s core values in relation to global citizenry
- Writing an op-ed that is published in a UAE newspaper that discusses the role of youth in global citizenry
- Delivering a speech or presentation to an appropriate UAE entity or gathering
- Taking part in a US delegation visit to the UAE
- Having a one-week internship at a UAE government entity